SEN at Peel Park
Peel Park School provides a welcoming environment, which embraces the diversity of all children who attend, and recognises the enrichment this provides to the whole school. All children are special and unique and deserve high quality provision for learning according to their individual needs. Inclusion is most likely to be achieved when this diversity is recognised and regarded positively. It is estimated that one pupil in five will at some time during his/her school life need some extra help.
These needs may be related to:
- Cognitive Difficulties
- Sensory & Physical Impairments
- Speech & Language Problems
- Emotional & Behavioural Difficulties
Each child, as his/her needs arise, demands more individual attention than his/her peers without such needs. These special needs can be “long-term” or “short-term”. This raises many issues in the school environment in terms of resources, organisation, management, appropriate curriculum, planning, assessing and monitoring. The education of a child is a partnership between the child, parents, school, and when necessary, specialist services which support a child with Special Educational Needs. Therefore, dialogue and equal access are important at all stages of a child’s education in order to give opportunities that will develop the child’s skills and abilities.
- To raise the aspirations of and expectations for all pupils with SEN
- To ensure all children are “safe, happy and learning”, giving them the experience of a caring, supportive school where learning is enjoyable and fun
- To help each child develop a positive self-image, promoting self-discipline, self-awareness and self-confidence
- To adapt the curriculum to meet a diversity of interests and needs associated with differing abilities, gender and backgrounds, both cultural and socio-economic
- To give all pupils a curriculum entitlement that is broad, balanced and relevant
Miss K Goldsmith is the Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCo) and she works closely with school staff and outside agencies to support and assess children as a need arises. She can be contacted at PPSEND@peelpark.lancs.sch.uk or on the school number 01254 231583.
All of our staff in school are there to support any children who have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities.